ask phoebe: little cottage with rich history an example of early workers' housing - partition wall
Bankside cottage built in 1883-
84, one of the oldest known examples of Auckland's early workers' cottage.
It was erected on a narrow road, originally known as the St bank, and reached through the narrow steps leading to the building.
The front border is a high wall covered with plaster.
At that time, St bank was a service channel from the city's first commercial center, Shortland St, to Princes St, the early location of government administration, justice and military power, but more than 1880 people are living more and more.
The site is part of the early central section on the east side of St bank, purchased by Dr. Parnell Frederick William Wright in 1879.
Wright subdivided the already small plot in half and created the current 152 m plot.
This was bought by settlers John moonhill and the cement cottage was built on it.
The house has concrete foundations and walls of Portland cement.
The exterior wall is about 30 cm thick and the interior partition wall is 15 cm.
Except for the roof space, all walls are plastering with lime mortar, of which 30 cm-
Wide board is used. The timber-
The frame roof is covered with corrugated galvanized iron and the ring is sealed in asphalt (tar).
The floor is wood and the full length balcony has a concrete floor with wrought iron railings with oval and vertical bars.
A balcony was also built at the back, where the south end --
Used to provide toilets.
The floor plan of the house is simple with a short lobby and four rooms, two of which have fireplaces.
Bathroom facilities are added to the back.
There is a small courtyard though the venue is only-
The garden at the back is surrounded by surrounding buildings on both sides.
The cottage was bought by Brewer Hancock in the medium term. 1930s.
Hancock is the owner of the next hotel, facing Prince Street.
From the age of over 1930, this cottage has been used to accommodate the staff of the hotel.
It was restored when the Grand Hotel was demolished and incorporated into the new development.
In 1984, the Oakland City Council bought the cottage. (
Reference: concrete publication of Auckland City Archives. )
* A magazine quiz a few weekends ago showed that Wang Nani is home to the Earth elevator, and there are only two elevators in the world.
I can't find out where the other one is.
Can someone help?